WSOP Forced To Postpone It’s 2020 Event Due To Pandemic

Thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic, the World Series of Poker (WSOP) succumbed to the unavoidable, and postponed its 2020 event.

On Monday, the organisers of the WSOP announced that the 51st edition of the tournament will not start as planned for May 26 at the Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas “as a result of the public health emergency involving COVID-19.” The event is moving to the “fall of 2020,” with details to be later decided.

Ty Stewart the WSOP’s executive director said his group was “committed to running the World Series of Poker this year but need additional time to proceed on our traditional scale while prioritising guest and staff well-being.”

Without doubt the rescheduled event would include the $10k Main Event Championship buy-in, but the announcement suggested that the overall schedule – including a record 101 gold bracelet events – would be “revisited” and “changes are anticipated.”
In the meantime, “an expanded series” of official WSOP tournaments will be held online through WSOP.com and “through partnership with international operators.” Only US players in Nevada and New Jersey currently have real-money play available on WSOP.com.

Given the fact that Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak extended his initial 30-day closure order of all casinos to the end of April, the WSOP had slow-rolled a decision about whether or not to change its 2020 timetable.

Last week, Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman begged / bullied the governor to lift the order she called “total insanity,” but Sisolak said he’d listen to the medical experts about “what’s in the best interests of keeping all Nevadans safe.”

WSOP’s next scheduled live event in the US is the Global Casino Championship at Harrah’s Cherokee Casino in North Carolina on August 11. At least for the moment, the WSOP says the event will continue as planned, as will the WSOP Europe at the King’s Resort in Rozvadov, Czech Republic.