US College Student Arrested Over Bomb Hoax To Halt Game Over Bet

A college freshman at the University of Alabama (UA) called in a bomb threat during a game between the University of Florida and Louisiana State University (LSU), in the hope that it would force the NCAA game to be called off. It all came down to a sports wager that one of his mates had put on that could fail.

Connor Croll called the Baton Rouge Police Department during the game last Saturday reporting there was a bomb in the stadium. LSU staff started their sweeping procedures in conjunction with local law enforcement, but never stopped the game.

A school statement said: “In this case, protocol was followed efficiently and effectively to quickly ascertain the source of the threat. That protocol including an immediate sweep of the stadium and a multi-agency investigation, which led to the suspect being identified within minutes and arrested soon thereafter. There is nothing more important than the safety and well-being of the public on campus.”

Not much is known about the essence of the bet or who the friend of Croll is, but the desired effect was not in his attempt. Without interruption, the game continued and Florida lost, 42-28.

The 19-year-old had used a phone that was easily traced back to him, to make the call. He was picked up by police on Sunday morning and confessed to being the one who had made the call, claiming it was to help a friend who would lose a lot of money if Florida were lost.

Since the call’s receiving end was in Louisiana and against a facility in Louisiana, Croll will have to respond in that state for his behaviour. He could be prosecuted under the terrorising statute of Louisiana, which can be charged against anyone who „intentionally communicate[s] information of a crime of violence, which causes the public to be in sustained fear for their safety, causes the evacuation of a building, or other serious disruption to the general public..“ If Louisiana follows that path, Croll could face forward to 15 years behind bars, as well as a $15,000 fine.