Riches of Midgard: Land and Expand serve as a reason to see NetEnt as a Swedish firm that rarely draws inspiration from its Nordic background. A perusal of their previous catalogue reveals a greater number of druids and Egyptian gods than Norse deities.
Maybe, with the success of Hall of Gods, the team thought that little further needed to be done in its unique genre. Nevertheless, mythology aficionados can thank NetEnt for bringing Odin, Thor, and Freya back to the reels in Riches of Midgard: Land and Expand, swinging hammers, and triggering lightning.
About Riches of Midgard: Land and Expand Slot Game
The title’s loading the game transports players to Midgard, a Norse realm by humans and one of the fictional Nine Worlds. Midgard is a land located in the heart of Yggdrasil that is connected to Asgard, the realm of the gods, via the rainbow bridge. Numerous legends surround those territories, describing tales of Odin’s victory over Ymir and the creation of the universe from his flesh, blood, and bones. Midgard is a prominent figure in Old Norse mythology, and as such, it appears in dozens of slots. Netent drew inspiration from those traditions while designing the Riches of Midgard.
The action unfolds across a 3×3 grid with nine distinct ways to play, all contained within a giant wooden mechanical structure replete with cogs and metal chains. The background features a valley with mountains in the distance. The graphics are crisp and gorgeous, in keeping with NetEnt’s painstaking commitment to the game’s design. Medieval music plays while you spin the reels, evoking the fundamental Nordic moods and providing a final touch to the ambience.
How to Play Riches of Midgard: Land and Expand Slot Online
Riches of Midgard: Land and Expand is an easy-to-play slot machine game.
- First, log in to your favorite online casino.
- Select “Riches of Midgard: Land and Expand” to access it.
- Your deposit balance can be viewed by selecting the “Options” option.
- Select “+/-” to change coin sizes from 0.01 to 1, and “Coins” to change the quantity of coins staked per line. A stake can contain up to 100 coins.
- After placing your stake, tap “Start” to start spinning the reels. You can also utilize Autoplay. This option allows you to keep spinning the reels without having to stop the game.
This online slot game has several interesting features that players will appreciate:
- Hot Spots: The Hot Spots are the single-position reels attached to the fringe of the wooden apparatus. Hot Spots spin concurrently with the main reels but never contribute to line wins. They are tasked with the of activating Respins. If matching symbols appear in both Hot Spots and on two or more ordinary reels, the Land and Expand feature is initiated, and a Respin is rewarded. Respin symbols extend to span all locations on the reel and remain locked in place the respin. If a matching symbol appears during the respin, it too grows to fill the entire reel. If all three reels first show the matching symbol, there is no respin; an increased price is paid immediately. During the base game, only high-value symbols or blanks show in Hot Spots, to high and low symbols during the bonus.
- Wild Symbol: During free spins, a wild symbol emerges. You may find a wild symbol on the left Hot Spot reel that matches and substitutes all the other symbols.
- Scatter Symbol: A Thor slot would be incomplete without his special hammer. Mjölnir is the scatter symbol in Riches of Midgard, and three of these anywhere on the reels trigger eight free spins. When free spins are active, each Mjölnir scatters on the reel three two additional free spins (without a cap) and expands the reels by adding a new row at the top or bottom.
This video slot has high value as well as low-valued characters on the paytable:
- Meat joints — £1, £0.5, for 3, 2 on a pay line, respectively
- Horns — £2, £1 for 3, 2 on a pay line, respectively
- Freya — £3, £1.5 for 3, 2 on a pay line, respectively
- Thor — £7, £2 for 3, 2 on a pay line, respectively
- Odin — £15, £5 for 3, 2 on a pay line, respectively
Riches of Midgard: Land and Expand slot include some bonuses that gamers may like:
- Free Spins Feature: When three scatter symbols appear on the reels, the free spin bonus is triggered. You’ll start with eight free spins during which the reels can grow. The game now includes a new wild symbol, making it far simpler to trigger the Land and Expand bonus. The scatter sign also has a unique function. It only takes one scatter to appear on the reels to trigger two additional free spins and expand the reels.
What Symbol Triggers Riches of Midgard: Land and Expand Slot Bonus Free Spins?
If three Thor’s Mjölnir symbols emerge on the reels concurrently, players will be given eight free spins. Additionally, the feature can be extended, with each scatters symbol hit during the bonus game awarding +2 additional spins.
Paylines and Stakes
The game’s paylines begin at nine and can be increased to 29 during this bonus round. Here, you can place a minimum stake of 0.10 and a maximum bet of 200.
Riches of Midgard: Land and Expand Slot Software
NetEnt was founded in 1996 in Sweden. Previously, it operated as Cherry, a manufacturer of classic slot machines. They have a clear objective: to supply quality casino software while staying ahead of technological advances. And if that’s not enough, NetEnt has several fantastic slots in their catalogue, including:
- Rage of the Seas
- Wild-O-Tron 3000
- Reel Rush
- Rise of Maya Slot
- Fruit Spin
- Reel Rush 2
What is Riches of Midgard: Land and Expand Slot RTP?
The RTP of this slot is stable at 96.03 percent, which is below the industry average.
The slot is powered by a mathematical model that makes it low-medium volatility. With this, you can expect frequent wins. However, these wins won’t be massive in nature.
Riches of Midgard is a truly unique experience, several intriguing features. While this is true, identifiable features, such as the growing symbols, draw the mind to the Book of Ra. Hot Spots constantly trigger to keep the base game running, and their display on the tottering frame is cleverly done. Of course, free spins are much more difficult to activate, but the additional rows are a wonderful addition, expanding the reels and the game’s potential.
However, the expected irregularity of free spins did not appear to affect their value, which was frequently on the lower side. This is most emphatically not a Hall of Gods. Whereas the earlier jackpot game had a reputation for being one of the most popular slots ever, Riches of Midgard is far more modest. When the grid is fully enlarged during the bonus, a single spin can earn 435 times the bet. Thus, this Midgard is not super-rich, even though the game took place before corporate-led governments fueled the current capitalist maelstrom. Thus, NetEnt may have opted for a degree of historical accuracy.
To summarize, Riches of Midgard is unique, yet its cartoony appearance is the edge that Norse slots frequently bring. While this is not a deal-breaker in and of itself, when paired with the patience needed to trigger the best parts of the features, Riches of Midgard can become more annoying than thrilling.