Representatives from six different bookmakers will battle it out this month as the competition named its eight national champions for the coveted Racing Post / SIS Betting Shop Manager of the Year.
In addition to Betfred, Paddy Power, William Hill and three from the Ladbrokes and Coral operations of GVC Group, local bookmakers Jenningsbet and Toals Bookmakers have managers on the shortlist.
The candidates from a shortlist of 24 met with the competition judges at Doncaster last weekend. The judges were able to watch each applicant being interviewed by Derek Thompson and re-read the document of a visit by a mystery shopper.
At an awards lunch at the JW Marriott Grosvenor House hotel in London to be held on Monday, November 11, the eight finalists will compete for the title. The regional champion will join the judges for a question-and-answer session the day before the final, supported by a key member of their team.
The winner will receive a VIP trip to one of next year’s major race meetings in Hong Kong, courtesy of the Hong Kong Jockey Club, and will also be invited during their year as champion to several key racing and betting occasions.
Richard Ames, SIS Chief Executive Officer, commented: “The Betting Shop Manager of the Year competition celebrates the best that the industry has to offer and recognises the achievements of those who are delivering an excellent customer-facing service across the UK and Ireland. It’s great to see managers from a wide variety of companies represented and we wish them all the luck in the next stage.”
The Regional champions are:
- Greater London: Robert Kivanc, Coral, Bromley
- South-east: Dean Munnings, JenningsBet, Norwich
- South-west: Jayne Everett, Betfred, Plymouth
- Midlands & Wales: Sandra Gilmartin, Paddy Power, Coventry
- North-west: Carole Ogram, Ladbrokes, Birkenhead
- North-east: Becky Drake, Ladbrokes, Barnsley
- Scotland: Colin Anderson, William Hill, Prestwick
- Ireland: Stephen McKenna, Toals Bookmakers, Portadown