Galaxy Macau Remains Closed To High Works Since March Incident

Work from the height and for scaffolding at a Phase 3 worksite for the Galaxy Macau casino resort is still suspended a month after three employees from mainland China died in an accident and four others injured.

In response to our inquiry, Macau’s Labour Affairs Office, also known as DSAL, reported on Friday the ongoing construction ban on GGRAsia.

On Monday GGRAsia had contacted Galaxy Entertainment Group Ltd, Galaxy Macau’s owner, asking if there had been any disruption to the start date of Phase 3 as a result of the lengthy suspension order at the height of work at a site there, but had not received a reply. However Macau’s Labour Affairs Office, also known as DSAL, reported on Friday the ongoing construction ban on GGRAsia.

DSAL said in an emailed statement: “The relevant contractor involved in the serious accident that took place at a work site in Cotai on March 24 has already submitted an investigation report on the incident to the Labour Affairs Bureau. The bureau is still reviewing the report.”

Police officials in the region had at the time reported that the incident had occurred on a Phase 3 worksite at Galaxy Macau, Galaxy Entertainment’s flagship casino resort in Cotai.

A statement released at the time by the Macau government said the seven workers were cleaning up some items on the site in a lift shaft when some scaffolding collapsed and dropped on the workers.

DSAL said on Friday: “The bureau had issued a suspension order that mandated the stopping of all works at height and scaffolding works at the site.”

It added: “In order to protect the safety of all other employees, the bureau is still reviewing whether the relevant contractor has fully implemented the work safety conditions as well as their investigation report, in other words, the suspension order is still in effect.”

In a statement released in February, Galaxy Entertainment announced that it planned to begin a portion of its Galaxy Macau casino resort Phase 3 in the first half of 2021, given the disruption associated with the outbreak of a novel coronavirus.

Phase 3 of Galaxy Macau will feature 1,500 hotel rooms, some casino space, a 16,000 seat wide arena and MICE area of 400,000 square feet (37,161 sqm). In early November the company announced it was preparing to open an Andaz hotel, a Hyatt Hotels Corp brand, as part of the expansion of the business.