The King’s Casino in Rozvadov, Europe’s largest poker room, revealed this week that it has barred all Italian players from its resort ‘to prevent the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) infection.’
The announcement made on Monday through the official Facebook page of the resorts, comes off the back of the first coronavirus case to be registered in the Czech capital, Prague.
The new policy has caused the cancellation of events due in March and April. The restriction was immediately announced, and will remain in place as officials monitor the situation.
Management of King’s Casino said they will reverse the decision as soon as the situation improves. The statement read: “King’s Resort communicates with regret to its customers that, given the evolution of the epidemic phenomenon coronavirus that, for a few hours, has been interested in the Czech Republic.
“In order to safeguard the health of our international guests and prevent the spread of the COVID-19, we have chosen to completely limit access in all areas of the casino, not even accepting hotel reservations, to all residents and coming from Italy indefinitely, cancelling from now all the events of March and April 2020 that target mainly target the audience mentioned above.
“Given the constant evolution of the situation, we will follow any new developments, in the hope of removing this limitation to an audience to whom we are very fond of, giving timely communication via our channels as soon as possible.
“We inform you that, unless new provisions, the Poker Room events calendar remains unchanged from May 1, 2020 onwards.”
As of Thursday 5th March 3,089 confirmed cases of coronavirus occurred in Italy, the most severe outbreak in Europe, with 107 deaths.
Globally, there were 3,200 people who died from the virus with more than 90,000 people reported to have been infected, with the vast majority of them in China, where the virus emerged late last year.
This is the latest of a number of casinos taking extra precaution due to the outbreak of COVID-19. After a positive case of coronavirus, which marked the third suspected case in the Beaver State, Oregon casino was forced to close its doors.
Sanitation was immediately under way at the Wildhorse Resort and Casino, with the property owned by the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation, announcing that all promotions and activities were cancelled until further changes could be made.
Last month Melco Resorts and Entertainment reassessed all non-core investments due to the impact of the coronavirus outbreak that were to be made in 2020.
The developer, owner and operator of casino gaming and entertainment facilities said the decision was made in the face of a severe drop in tourism in Asia to integrated resort facilities in the area, as well as the recent decision by the Macau SAR government to close all casinos in Macao.
At the end of last month, Galaxy Entertainment Group expressed a “personal concern as a result of the outbreak of the coronavirus,” when they released their latest financial results.
Chairman Lui Che Woo, who contributed US$ 2.5 million to the Hubei Province of China to help combat the epidemic and assist with relief efforts, started the company’s latest financial statement with a letter detailing the pandemic’s impacts.
A part of Woo’s letter reads: “It is times like this that the entire community needs to work together to overcome these challenges. We have faced similar challenges in the past, and we have overcome these previous challenges. I am confident that in time we will overcome the current challenge.”