Xavier Walsh, the chief executive officer of Crown Melbourne, will step down on August 20, 2021, according to Crown Resorts.
However, the casino operator, which began gaming operations at its Melbourne site last week after a number of restrictions were relaxed across Victoria, also said that Walsh will remain available to assist the company until December 9, 2021, when his contract with Crown expires.
Walsh joined Crown in 2008 and spent a year on secondment as the chief operating officer of Cannery Casino Resorts in Nevada and Pennsylvania before returning to Australia in 2013 to take over as the chief operating officer of Crown Melbourne. He was named CEO of Crown Melbourne in December 2020.
Following consultation with the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation, the firm said it will make an interim appointment for CEO Crown Melbourne.
This comes after the Victorian government gave the royal commission investigating the group’s Melbourne activities more time and money to look into “a wider range of matters.”
Commissioner Raymond Finkelstein wrote to Victoria’s acting premier, James Merlino, requesting an extension from August 1, 2021, to October 15, 2021, as well as a funding increase from $10 million to $19.75 million, which was granted.
Those connected to the Melbourne property’s corporate culture, gambling harm minimisation, and assertions brought forth in evidence thus far, such as allegations that the venue underpaid casino tax, are among the broader range of issues to be investigated.